Thursday, August 27, 2009

A BIT OF WORK IN PRGRESS......

Just for fun I thought I would post a little bit of progressions on a piece I am working for a private commission, the shots take you fromthe intial rough, to a more "completed" rough to an in progress shot of the painting.


The concept was to do a painting based on St. George and the Dragon and use a portrait of a real person as St. George with a few symbolic things thrown in to personalize the image and



The sketch above is the original doodle based on the concept given to me by the clent, very rough indeed......



....here we have a tighter sketch with a few minor changes to the design ...............






..........and here is a small taste of how the image is coming along. The face s blacked out just because of the most remote possibility of the St. George individual some how finding this blog and seeing his portrait in the painting...............would not be cool since this is a surprise gift for them.
If I can ever remember to take the time to take the photos, I will eventually show my whole process on a painting from beginning to end.

4 comments:

Nick Rose said...

Looking really nice Tracy. It's cool to see how you work. Did you underpaint?

Tracy Flynn Art said...

Thanks Nick,

I did do an underpaint on this......everything for the most part. I just never thought about doing a complete step-by until after the fact.

I am going to do a series on how I paint soon, just always end up painting and not taking the photos.....

John said...

The finished art is very impressive Tracy. I will resist detailing the gallant spirit it engenders as I am the subject in the painting ... the St. George character, not the dragon. Having just received it today, I am blown away by your talent as well as the kindness of my friend, Thom, who commissioned your work. -- John

Tracy Flynn Art said...

John,

Thank you for your kind words, and the time to express them. This was a pleasure to work on and wish I had more like this to do. It isn't veryoften I get to do a "personalized" piece, and when I do it makes them all the more precious. Thom is a good man and we are both fortunate to know him.